Hi,

> > No, it is not. That is exactly the problem. It is not allowed to send
> > unsolicited expunge notifications, only as a result of a command OTHER
> > than FETCH/STORE/SEARCH. So if a client gets a NO to a fetch, it SHOULD
> > do a NOOP, but that is only stated in RFC2180, among many other things
> > client implementors might not see :-) A [NOOPFIRST] would make it
> > absolutely clear that the NO resulted NOT from a server error, but was
> > sent intentionally since the client needs to get the expunge
notifications
> > before submitting another FETCH.
>
> ok, accepted. Wasn't sure about that.

:-)

> Still I would rather see clients adopting the practice of sending noops
> from rfc2180 than inventing another extension. It's already hard enough to
> get a grasp of how imap is supposed to work as it is.
>
> If there already is a way to do it that is even documented in an rfc
> why should we reeinvent the wheel.

Because implementors only implement things they get bashed in their face :-)

IMHO, RFC abc, subparagraph x.y with alternative this-and-that is not going
to make implementors really give anything on it. A clearly stated paragraph
in IMAP4rev2 would most probably do so, and clarify the issue - so a tagged
no would not be "bad server juju", but an accepted way of dealing with
the issue.

Christof