Mark Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Paul Jarc wrote:
>> If the client deletes a message it wasn't able to download, then that
>> sounds like a buggy client.
>
> Why?

Um... lossage?  If the client shows the user that "there is some
message here, but I don't know anything about it", and the user
decides to delete it anyway, then of course the client is not at
fault.  But if the client deletes inaccessible messages
*automatically*, it's to blame.

>> Right - and where do those rules include the meaing "this message is
>> no longer present"?  Where do they include the possibility of a data
>> item formerly being non-NIL, but later becoming NIL?
>
> They don't.  Which means that you can't do it.

I had thought you were saying that the NIL option given in RFC2180,
4.1.3, was a good idea.  Apparently I misunderstood, sorry.  I was
pointing out a possible problem with 4.1.3; we seem to be in agreement
on that point.

paul