I have a setup where my ISP recieves my email and stores it in
an IMAPs or POP accessible mailbox.

I usefetchmail to fetch the email, but everyonce in a while, fetchmail gets
denied relay the email through my local sendmail because the sender domain
that it reconstructs is invalid/non-existant. Problem is that the message
stored on the server was stored with the original sender in the "From" line
of the BSD mail-format mailbox, but this From line is technically not part of
the message so when I IMAP it down to my server, the info is lost.

Seems to be a case of successive IMAPS losing valuable envelope-sender
info but I can't think of anyway to easily fix the problem without them
adding special header lines or something.  At the same time there is
compatibility with other clients to consider, so while I might not have
a problem with a From line being attached to the beginning of a message,
other IMAP clients might.

Has anyone given this area any thought on how to pass on the original
envelop information in an imap download?

-linda