Rob Siemborski writes:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

(I'll be happy with either, though. And I wish people would mention
it on the list when they freeze a draft by releasing code widely.)
The problem is often times the only way to fully vet a draft is to
implement and actually use code with it.  There are a few significant
problems in a number of IMAP extensions that weren't fully
implemented by anyone before they became RFCs.

I understand and agree. Maybe I should have written "widely" in upper case.

I don't think deployment of code by itself should freeze a draft -- if
there are substantial problems with it that appear after deployment,
these need to be addressed.  That doesn't appear to be the case here.

If the deployment is wide enough, subsequent incompatible changes bring problems.

250 AUTH=LOGIN
250 AUTH LOGIN

So yes, I still do wish people would mention it when they release draft
code widely.

Arnt