On 4/6/11, Davide Alberani <davide.alber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 06:13, Michael Grier <mr.michael.gr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It does work; you have to have the comma in there... (%2C)
>>
>> http://www.imdb.com/Name?Gibson%2C%20Mel%20%28I%29
>>
>> redirects to
>>
>> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/
>
> Right; I'll look into integrating this solution instead of the current
> search
> done to convert from titles/names to imdbID, thanks!

Some notes:
1. If you want to grab the nm ids, you will have to do it before you
canonicalize any names that IMDb did not in the flat files, OR save
the original name when you canonicalize a name.

2. You do not incur a "too many requests" type of penalty (I forget
what the actual message is, but you probably know what I'm talking
about) when you use the method I mentioned earlier to get the id from
the Location header, but I would be wary of doing it too much (like
during flat files import). Your ip could get banned. It also would
cause import to take much longer.

3. It won't find:
    A: Anything with a + (plus symbol) in the name or title.
    B: Titles/names that have changed since the last update.
In the 200,000 titles I tested on, these conditions occurred about 300
times total.