Updated this morning to latest data files, no change and unfortunately this
fix also doesn't work.
I even tried adding
self.sqlstr = self.sqlstr.replace('\xec\x8c\xa0', '') in _toDB function and
still get the same error.
Maybe this unicode character replacement method is wrong?

This error started when we uninstalled imdbpy (left all the dependency libs)
and started run it without installation. Maybe there is some kind of problem
and some kind of hidden unicode dependencies? Maybe you can try to run
without installation, jus from source?

Also every time i start the script i receive two warnings:
2011-04-17 11:13:37,398 WARNING [imdbpy.parser.sql.aux]
/data/web/imdb/imdbpy4.7-159671/imdb/parser/sql/__init__.py:125: Unable to
import the cutils.ratcliff function.  Searching names and titles using the
"sql" data access system will be slower.
2011-04-17 11:13:37,399 WARNING [imdbpy.parser.sql.aux]
/data/web/imdb/imdbpy4.7-159671/imdb/parser/sql/__init__.py:332: Unable to
import the cutils.soundex function.  Searches of movie titles and person
names will be a bit slower.
IMPORTING psyco... FAILED (not a big deal, everything is alright...)

maybe that is some kind related?