On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Joseph De Nicolo <j.denic...@neu.edu> wrote:

> I used the imdbpy2sql.py program (version 4.9)

Please, use the version from the repository, since the 4.9 is
way too buggy.

> but my researchers are telling me some data is missing.

Which ones?

> Is there supposed to be a table to each corresponding .gz file in the ftp
> mirror?

No.
The database schema is not normalized, basically for performance
reasons (at insert time).

Main information about titles and names are stored into the 'title', 'name',
'char_name' and 'company_name' tables.

Information about movies are stored in the 'movie_info' table, specifically
in the 'info' field, which is always a text field; it's meaning is given by the
'info_type_id' column (foreign key over 'info_type.id').

Information about persons are stored, in a similar way, in the
'person_info' table.

Information about people who worked on a movie are stored in the
'cast_info' table: there, the 'person_role_id' refers to a role as per
'role_type' table.

Hope this help; if you have more specific questions, just ask.

--
Davide Alberani <davide.alber...@gmail.com>  [PGP KeyID: 0x465BFD47]
http://www.mimante.net/