The worst hack I ever endurred 'happened' when I rebooted a/the DNS
server. Now granted, if it was hacked so that it was hosed upon reboot,
then I had serious problems no matter what, but thank goodness I waited
until late on a friday night to reboot as opposed to the middle of the
work day, I certainly was in a scramble at that point...

This is not just a unix issue... years later i worked with a windows
2000 domain controller that we litterally crossed every  finger we had and
only as a last resort, did we boot that hummer.... never were sure it
would come up clean, or how long it would take.