Quoting Robin Bankhead <ho...@headbank.co.uk>:

Hello,

I am hoping to use Horde/Imp (latest horde-webmail from PEAR) with Apache James v3 (eternal beta) as IMAP server and local delivery agent. The local mailstore will be receiving mail from a number of domains/accounts, but it has no true FQDN of its own, so everything gets fetched into a single @localhost IMAP mailbox. That IMAP login is set to autologin in horde main config, and Imp uses it via $servers['imap']['hordeauth'] = 'full'.

The James SMTP server *could* relay all outgoing mail for all these domains, but in my testing this has garnered high spam scores, even when clients are locally doing SMTP AUTH. I guess this is because of our lack of an originating FQDN.

I'd therefore like to have Imp choose the SMTP server config dynamically upon sending, based on both From: and To: addresses of the outgoing message. The user would choose the From: address using a list of Identities defined in global prefs. The

The things I need to know are:

1. Can this be implemented at all? (I reckon it can, but...)

Sure.  But you will have to directly change the source.

2. Would I implement it by a routine in one of the conf files (I have done it like this before, for turba config circa H4) or would I need to use a Hook?

No.

3. Where do I find the variables I need for
 (a) The From: address or Identity, and
 (b) the To: address?

Just grab them from the code. You want to look at the IMP_Compose#sendMessage() method (imp/lib/Compose.php). $GLOBALS['injector']->getInstance('IMP_Mail') returns the mail transport object - you will need to replace that with whatever code you need to create the proper mailer object needed based on the addresses.

michael