On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Dan Homerick <danhomer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Sam Vekemans
> <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can you give an example of a situation when you'd need to use multiple
> > source fields for 1 osm tag?
>
> Sure. To give a little context, the import I just did is for
> waterways. The source data has a boolean field NAMED that indicates
> whether or not a particular stream is named. There's a second field,
> STREAM_NAME which contains a string. When NAMED is 'Yes', then
> STREAM_NAME has something like 'Newell Creek' in it. When NAMED is
> 'No', then STREAM_NAME has something like 'Stream 243' in it.

 You would think that if the named field was empty ... wouldn't the default
be no?
... if it was me, perhaps keeping the name 'Stream 243' is a good thing.  as
technically, that stream is named 'Stream 243'.   just like a property is
named 'lot 122334'  (otherwise known as "1050 Front Street".   If streems
were a commodity... like 'wood' then, then having the 'official number'
should be kept.   Perhaps i would tag it as "name:official=Stream 243"
... maybe the source will get updated later on with these fields
corrected.   So when re-converting the shp file later on, a search can be
done to find and replace those effected streams.

.... but then again, on the other hand, we are OpenStreetMap, and are NOT
the "official office of the Registrar".   AND Its a one-way import, where
the goal is to get all the river names as human-readable and usable.  (a
UUID, along with the Attribution) tag would suffice.

... So i would recommend, that you make this compelete.osm file available
somewhere on a server (whith a link to it on the wiki), and ALSO including
the origional shp files, in the zip file that contains this .osm file, as
well as a quick readme.txt file  Would allow for other future users, to be
able to cross-check the work, and perhaps re-convert the shp file, for the
new version available.   Then local area mappers will have a new .osm file
to look at and decide what they want to add in.

The recommendation  ALSO goes for polyshp2osm (and not just shp-to-osm that
i use). :-)

I wanted to add a 'name' tag only for the named streams, and leave it
> off for the 'Stream 243' streams.
>
> So that's a case of wanting an 'IF' statement, really. An IF/ELSE
> would be even better, if tests for equality were available. The
> "polyshp2osm.py" script is wonderfully flexible since you are
> customizing the source code for your import. It's also useless if you
> don't have any exposure to programming or don't have a clue about
> Python. It's good to see tools like shp-to-osm which use a rules.txt
> file to drastically lower the bar.
>
> Yup, like a mac user, and a regular computer user., and those ibuntu users
..we all mappers :-)   .... maybe just not understand the complex monty
python humor :)

> > Also, if your creating intersecting ways, double check to see that the
> > nodes are infact connected. (shp-to-osm doesnt connect the ways.
> > (thats why im not dealing with roads, and leaving it to the shp2osm
> > script to handle) but it seems all other features are fine though.
>
> I noticed that, and used the validator plugin in JOSM to merge nodes.
> I was lucky that when two streams merged, they (usually) had
> overlapping nodes at the merge point. I'm still correcting by hand a
> few cases where this wasn't true, however. Also, my first attempt at
> uploading failed, because JOSM added a modified='true' attribute[1] to
> the ways when I did the merges. I used a text editor's find/replace to
> remove those, and the second attempt went smoothly.
>
> Thanks, i'll recommend people use that validator plugin, as it will
certainly help.
... and ya, i forgot that the .osm file can be opened in notepad. and a
find/replace can be done :)   Thanks!

> [1] Or something like that...
>
> - Dan

Cheers,