On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Erik G. Burrows <e...@erikburrows.com>wrote:

> (There is also a ton of other great information available for download at
> this site.)

Most of this data has very very low resolution (1:1M) and should probably
not be imported.

> Many of these areas are already imported into the OSM database, as part of
> USFS imports, and many of the areas are already defined as other types of
> objects, such as parks and preserves. However, most of the Designated
> Wilderness areas are not in the OSM database.
>
> I'd like to work to import these areas. There has already been some
> discussion on the "talk" mailing list about the details, especially the
> need to be careful not to duplicate data already in the database.
>
> I think there will need to be a substantial amount of manual work done to
> ensure no data duplication occurs, and some cleanup of enclosing boundary
> areas, so the process I'm planning on using is fairly manual:
>
> 1. Convert the National Atlas shapefile into KML using ogr2ogr.*
>  *The intermediate step through KML format is necessary because gpsbabel
> below needs 3-D coordinates on input, but this shapefile is 2-D. The KML
> file allows for manual (perl script) addition of a zero-value
> z-coordinate.
>
> 2. Convert the KML file into OSM format using gpsbabel.

There are at least a couple tools to convert directly from shapefile to OSM
format without these other steps in between. Take a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Shapefile

Lastly, the import of boundaries into OSM is pretty dubious. Once we import
any sort of data it instantly starts to decay. Boundaries and borders are
especially bad because OSM is not (and should not) be the official record
for these boundaries. Boundaries don't meet the "map what's on the ground"
test that most contributors use.