Hi,

Katie Filbert wrote:
How about just converting the data to OSM format. Break it up by small, manageable chunks such as census tracts. Post the files somewhere. Maybe OSM-US can help provide a place for them.

I hear that Potlatch2 already has a mode where you can load a shape file as a background layer, and copy geometries (one by one) onto the OSM layer. I haven't used that myself, but on the whole this sounds like a sensible mode of operation. I think it doesn't to attribute conversion yet but that would be a simple matter of programming for someone with the necessary skills.

What I like most about it is that you have a forced visual feedback - there is no way you can copy something into OSM without seeing what is actually there before you do.

Then allow local people to do the imports, using JOSM.

That is possible, but carries with it the danger of over-eager people doing blanket imports again...

Bye
Frederik