On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Dave Hansen <d...@sr71.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 19:25 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > What I like most about it is that you have a forced visual feedback -
> > there is no way you can copy something into OSM without seeing what is
> > actually there before you do.
>
> It would be really nice to add some JOSM layer functionality like this.
> I did a simple shp-to-osm, then mucked with JOSM's style files a bit to
> get it to show the background (new data) in pink and the foreground
> (existing OSM data) in a thick line.  It makes isolating data that's
> badly lined up or non-existent in OSM easy to find, visually.
>
>        http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/portland/josm-ping.png

I think this is a great first step towards a "merging/importing toolkit". A
shapefile reading and rendering plugin for JOSM would be extremely nice to
have and was the original intention of my shp-to-osm code.

I'd be happy to get the code started but would be excited to have people try
it out and offer features.