On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yet, despite all this instruction, we had a lot of errors in the data,
> even from extremely experienced mappers.
> We could really use your help in coming up with solutions to these problems!

We have the same issues in the French building imports since ... 2010
(it's a long-running country-wide import). What you can do is
- you only allow the import to certified contributors ... or:
- provide the best original data. If you can, fix the geometric errors
automatically (duplicate nodes, missing intersecting nodes and
overlaps). Conflation is a bit more complicate (too many cases) and
should remain manual.
- contact people and explain them again where they do mistakes and how
to proceed (or point again to your tutorials)
- create a QA tool reporting the errors you mention then let the
community fix them. In France, we developed a QA tool called osmose
reporting duplicate nodes, highways crossing buildings (item 1070),
buildings overlapping (item 0) etc ([1]). If errors are increasing,
create taskforces around a specific error or area.

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmose
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmose/errors
[3 http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/