I think this illustrates the point that it's very easy to add
questionable or low quality data to OSM,
and very hard to gain consensus to remove it.

I don't see the point. Why is the data questionable or of low quality? The data is of high quality and maybe one quarter (wild guess) of the explosions left no trace on earth.

Please simply take a look at Nevada Test Site in JOSM with Bing imagery and tell me, why this doesn't belong into OSM.

Technical data about yield and so on might be removed, I don't care.

Markus