My personal view is I map to provide a useful map.

I've talked to a number of blind people and buildings with house numbers are extremely useful to them.  There are others who find them useful.

If you talk to the NGOs using OSM in Africa or other places remote mapping and imports are unfortunately essential.  Should we wait for the locals to become educated enough and have the money to buy internet access and computers so they can map their own village?

Unfortunately the world isn't simple.  In parts of the world urban planing comes down to how many buildings are there on the map multiply that by a factor to give a population estimate and that's how many classrooms we need.

Even in parts of Canada especially the remote ones urban planning really does come down to what is on the map.  Fortunately there is now open data correctly licensed for OSM building data available from Stat Can, NR Can, and Microsoft.  Whether or not the local urban planners of a remote community are capable of combining multiple sources of data is questionable.

Easing people into OSM, well street complete makes adding detail to existing building outlines easy to do and we have had issues with data quality for new mappers adding building outlines.

Cheerio John