Hey Guys,

As someone who's come to OpenSolaris from outside the community, I
think the decision is right on. And Ian's comment that he doesn't get
it. It seems to me that community is important, but OpenSolaris has a
larger identity issue vis-a-vis the non-community.

If the goal of the distro is draw folks like my company into the fold,
there has to be distro unequivocally associated with the OpenSolaris
name. Because frankly, if you're trying to grab folks from another OS
you've got a short window of opportunity to get them to try it, and
confusing the heck out of them because they can't figure out which
distro is the archetypical OpenSolaris distro is prolly not something
in Sun's or the community's best interest. If the community can't get
out if its own way on this one, I'm not sure its wrong of Sun to make
a unilateral decision. In my opinion, its too important to the future
of the company that owns the trademark.

I share Ian's frustration in not understanding why this concept isn't
universally grasped/agreed with. Doesn't mean I don't understand the
arguments, just don't agree that the community should trump on this
one.

Best Regards,
Jason