On 14-Jan-08, at 10:45 PM, Josh Lange wrote:

> I've found many of the sun tools to be out of date, and far less
> functional than their gnu counterparts.
>
> I personally want to use Solaris for its stability. I've found the
> linux kernel a little immature, and prone to panics, and deadlocks,
> and random issues, especially when dealing with network protocols/
> network file systems/raid, and a few other categories.
>
> What has historically held me off of Solaris was what I considered a
> poor userland (and not to mention, package manager), and I'm happy
> to see Indiana taking steps to fix these categories.
>
> Josh

Then continue to use the canonical Indiana or click the "GNU" option
on the installer if they actually let us put options in the installer.

I'm not trying to force my view on everyone, I'm trying to find an
acceptable solution to the GNU problem for the rest of us.

You consider the standards compliant tools to be a poor userland
because they're older, I consider scripts that break because the bash
people decided to break compatibility across versions to be a poor
userland. To each their own.