On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 16:18 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Mark Phalan wrote:
> > If you're still looking for a good solution for multi-media on
> > OpenSolaris I've found that the the easiest path is to simply compile
> > the ffmpeg plugin for gstreamer:
> >
> > Get it here:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-ffmpeg/gst-ffmpeg-0.10.3.tar.bz2
> >
> > It compiles out of the box (on Nevada) with gcc but has problems
> > linking, I had to use the GNU linker to get it to link. Apart from the
> > linking issue it's trivial to get going.
> >
> > Once you've built it just stick the plugin (libgstffmpeg.so)
> > into /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10.
> >
> > The advantage of doing this over compiling mplayer/vlc is that this
> > enables all the gnome apps to be able to play pretty much any video
> > format. You can use totem, the nautilus thumbnailer works etc.
> >

> Interesting you mention totem. On OpenSolaris, totem can't play anything
> as far as I can tell. I presume it's been built with no codecs at all,

Totem doesn't have any codecs - it relies on gstreamer to take care of
format decoding. By adding the ffmpeg codec to gstreamer totem can play
everything that ffmpeg can decode.

> and I wonder why we bother to supply it. On the other hand, totem
> downloaded from blastwave can play lots of formats, and if you add

It may be linked with libxine in which case libxine is taking care of
the decoding. If it's linked with gstreamer its not doing anything that
totem on Nevada isn't doing already.

-Mark