On 6/23/07, Andrew M.A. Cater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:19:51PM -0400, Francois Saint-Jacques wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:42:26AM +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > > Packaging
> >
> > Many individuals, including me, are interested in the packaging system for
> > Indiana. I believe that it is important to attack the problem of packages
> > management at the moment. We cannot conceive an operating system without
> > having a process for propagating and upgrading packages. I would really
> > like to see a packager community where we could work together to
> > effectively integrate software in OpenSolaris with high quality standards
> > (SMF daemon aware, FSH compatible). Moreover, we could then work on the
> > desktop part and/or other software integration. Some proposals:
> >
> > 1. First of all, it would be necessary to create a standard library for
> > packages 'libpkg', not to confuse with the current libpkg, with generic
> > functions such as 'package_add(), package_check(), etc'. There was a
> > post on the forum install-discuss but I am not able to find it
> > (Dave do you remember which post?). This would allow use to combine
> > multiple tools (pkg*, pkg-get) with one clean implementation.
> >

> I know I sound like a Debian fanboy: look carefully at Debian's dpkg
>
> > 2. Re-code pkg* binaries to use libpkg. In order to accomodate linux
> > users, I had already suggested this in the Indiana-discuss list: create a
> > new tool 'pkg add|delete|info'. One tool to rule them all that would also
> > use libpkg.
>
> Look carefully at apt-get or aptitude and the integration with dpkg
>

> > 3. The holy grail: 'pkg-get' that support multiple repositories, live
> > network upgrade, multiple sources (ftp,http,https,filesystem). On this
> > subject, I propose having an official core repository that ONLY contains
> > ON integration (base system).
> >

> I've had this for about 9 years in Debian :)

I don't think we should try to re-create debian. Debian has this
tendency to explode in fabulous ways, occasionally preventing boot.

There's also the problem with debian that you end up with an entirely
un-testable system, since each package is tested more or less
atomically. You have absolutely no idea if a user-reported bug is in a
package itself, or if it's some complex interplay between two or more
packages.

We should aim to deliver a tested bug-free _System_, not just a pile
of packages haphazardly thrown together

--
PGP Public Key 0x437AF1A1
Availiable on hkp://pgp.mit.edu