Glynn Foster wrote:
> With PSARC 2007/047 /usr/gnu, various GNU userspace utilities have been
> included
> into /usr/gnu where there is already an existing Solaris utility. Is this
> enough? Is a GNU branded zone what we want, or better still to add
> functionality
> to the existing Solaris utilities in a compatible way that appeals to 90% of
> what's perceived as missing?
>
> I don't have many answers here - I'm pretty certain we're a lot closer with
> the
> recent work that's been done. Is closer rather than better where we need to
> be?

Glynn,
   I think the idea of a GNU branded zone needs to be fleshed out a
little more before I think that it could ever fly. Since things like
devices, X server, console etc are based in the global zone,
applications being run in the GNU zone would either take a performance
hit or just would not work. Also having branded zones can give you up to
'n' times more administration, patch management, resource requirements.

I think a combination of /usr/gnu and modifying existing Solaris
utilities is probably the most workable solution.

Another option could be having packages that contain both versions of
the utility and making the personality selectable during installation.

Whatever is done though will never please everybody :)

Doug