I finally managed to create the USB stick image but not to boot from it.
I don't think OpenSolaris is responsible of this however

I am using OpenSolaris inside virtual machines on my MacBook Pro.
Firstly : I was not able to transfer the image to the USB stick from
VirtualBox.  I had to install an image on Fusion to be able to use
usbcopy script.
Secondly : The MacBook Pro does not recognize the stick as "bootable"
at boot time (I ensured the partition table is GUID ...) and I did not
manage to configure VB or Fusion to start from a USB stick neither ...

So I am blocked - but this is out of topic for this mailing list

Seb
---
Sébastien Stormacq
Senior Software Architect