OkDick it has been long time ago as I dived deep into the details of sendmail configurations

Dick Hoogendijk schrieb am 27.01.10 11:23:
Op 27-1-2010 10:16, Detlef Drewanz schreef:
Dick,
I am not sure what you mean by "I cannot connect to the mailserver
from my local machines".

I assume you cannot connect to port 25.
Check if the smt:sendmail svc-service has been enabled. With
OpenSolaris sendmail ha sbeen devided into two service part (client
and server). Also check the properties of smtp:sendmail service.

What I did, after installing SUNWsndm in my zone was:
# svccfg -s sendmail setprop config/local_only = false
# svcadm refresh sendmail
# svcadm restart sendmail
So the secure by default issue is solved and cannot interfere.

I copied over the submit.cf and sendmail.cf from the Solaris 10 installation (sendmail v8.13.x) On solaris10 the server accepts mail from ALL clients within my local 192.168. network. On OpenSolaris the server accepts mail FOR local users, but it does NOT relay outgoing mail for i.e. d...@demarskramer (it does accept mail for d...@nagual.nl). I cannot see how this can differ? After all, I do use the same configuration files. They should be enough.

Would it be possible that this has something to do with the (know) bug that sendmail can't find it's unqualified host name?

 From the log:
[mail.crit} My unqualified host name (anduin) unknown; sleeping for retry
[mail.warning] unable to qualify my own domain name (anduin) -- using short name
After that, sendmail is ready for delivery. ;-)

You could try to add hostname.domainname to your /etc/hosts to see if that helps or fix your /etc/resolv.conf + /etc/nsswitch.conf config.

I get the feeling however, that because it can't resolve it's own domain name, it also can't decide if a connecting host is allowed to relay mail. Can this be true? If os, all I have to do is wait for the (bug) cure. Or maybe there's a wau around this bug.

So it looks like sendmail works, but the configuration has issues.
It has been long time ago as I dived deep into the details of sendmail configurations, but if you want to do relaying for other systems, you have to enable this with the relay feature. If I look today into /etc/mail/cf/feature I see several relay options. A part of your relaying seems to work because relaying to d...@nagual.nl works, but not to d...@demarskramer. So the difference is the domain name at the end, which will be handled separately by the sendmail rules. So the best is maybe to really take you original sendmail.mc file and check, which feature+options did you used is the past and how this have changed now. What happens, if you try to send email to d...@demarskramer ?

Detlef