Dear all,

This was a tricky one. : I had to open the ICBN (International Code for
Botanical Nomenclature) to check it. Thanks Ushaji for making me go back to
basics.

I am giving my notes, but I request other botanists on this list to correct
me where wrong,

[1] *Morinda tinctoria* subsp *pubescence*

this one is simple: it means that the species *Morinda tinctoria* has
two/more subspecies, the first one is *Morinda* *tinctoria* subsp *tinctoria
*(usually written only as *Morinda tinctoria*) and the other one is *Morinda
tinctoria* subsp *pubescence *(which must be differing from the first in
some characters) (there could be more subspecies under this same species,
having different ending epithets). At times the connecting link (subsp.) is
not used as there is only one rank below that of species.

[2] *Morinda tinctoria* var *tomentosa*

Similar to above: it means that the species *Morinda tinctoria* has two or
more varieties, the first one is *Morinda* *tinctoria* var. *tinctoria
*(usually
written only as *Morinda tinctoria*) and the second one is *Morinda
tinctoria* var. *tomentosa* (which must be differing from the first in some
characters) (there could be more varieties under this same species, having
different ending epithets)

[3]*Morinda tinctoria* f *xanth*

This is a form or forma of the species. In botanical
nomenclature<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botanical_nomenclature>,
a *form* (*forma*) is a low-level taxonomic
rank<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomic_rank>below that of
variety <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(biology)>. The abbreviation
"f." or the full "forma" is put before the infraspecific epithet to indicate
the rank. A form usually designates a group with a noticeable but minor
deviation.

[4] *Morinda tinctoria* X  *Morinda citrifolia*

This is an interspecific hybrid.

[5]*Morinda tinctoria* 'Neil'

This is a cultivar of *Morinda tinctoria*. A *cultivar name* consists
of a botanical
name <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botanical_name>  followed by a cultivar
epithet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithet>. The cultivar epithet is
capitalised and put between single quotes: preferably it should not be
italicized (unless it was given 1
January<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1>
1959 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959>, when it was
Latin<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin>form and therefore tolerated.
But the practice was discontinued as it was
often confused with the botanical names).

[6]+*Morindixora* 'Sangita'

This looks like is a intergeneric hybrid of *Morinda* and *Ixora* genus and
a cultivar named as ‘Sangita’

The picture goes very confusing ….

Cannot agree more that it is all often very confusing. BUT there is a method
in this madness. The web has a number of websites explaining plant
nomenclature, best and easiest of which is wikipedia but the ultimate one
(although needing lots of patience to understand) is International Code for
Botanical Nomenclature.

So have I passed the exam? : )

Aparna
PS: also attaching a word file of the answer as the italics may be lost in
mail

---
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works