Mucuna pruriens and M. monosperma are neither confused nor mistaken . The
foremer has a long pod and the latter has somewhat round pods

Santhosh

On 25 February 2013 10:23, Shobha Halwe-Chavda <koa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Anitaji and Dineshji,
> The climber was right near the steps of "Palasambe Caves" and a local
> person warned us about its itching property,so we stayed away from it and
> didn't dare to touch it.( By the way,also saw side by side the climber of
> huge Entada pod ( गारंबी) at the same place.)
> Dineshji,checked the plant in Flowers of Sahyadri.But off course the photo
> was of flower and not the pod,so didn't get the clue.Mr.Ingalhalikar has
> mentioned two Mucuna species.Mucuna pruriens ( खाजकुइरी) and Mucuna
> monosperma (पांढरी खाजकुइरी). Pods of both the species seem to be
> irritant.But i wonder why one is "पांढरी" ? Flowers of both the species are
> purple ! and pods too r not white !
>
> Warm Regards,
> Shobha
>

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Shobha Halwe-Chavda <koa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanx Dineshji and Anitaji.
>> To Ushadi -U need not be so sarcastic.Very sorry to read such language on
>> Indiateepix.
>> Shobha
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Ushadi Micromini <
>> microminipho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Anita: I have seen a dermatology book that talks of Farmers getting
>>> allergic responses to some vigna leaves, apparently they have some
>>> secretion on the tips of theirhairs...
>>>
>>> But not seen this...
>>> may be it / your experience should be added to medical knowledge about
>>> allergic response to the physical or chemical  constituents?
>>>
>>> Wonder if any body wrote this up... in medical literature?
>>>
>>> Also goes to show that knowing the vernacular meaning is so important
>>> and knowing the nuances of regional knowledge is soo very important...
>>>
>>> thanks for telling me/us
>>>
>>> usha di

>>> --
>>> Usha di

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar MSc, PhD, FIAT, FLS
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
NB: Please consider your environmental responsibility! Ask yourself before
printing this email !!!

--

---