---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chandra Ravikumar <chandraraviku...@hotmail.com>
Date: 7 July 2013 16:18
Subject: RE: [bngbirds] Re: [HasiruUsiru] Catalogue of trees of Lalbagh
To: livewithtr...@gmail.com, ranjin...@gmail.com,
hasiruus...@yahoogroups.com
Cc: raman_arunacha...@yahoo.com, swamy.c...@gmail.com, jmga...@gmail.com,
mohande...@gmail.com, arunameth...@gmail.com, sangeetha.ka...@gmail.com,
indiantreepix@googlegroups.com, narayan....@gmail.com,
navendu.p...@gmail.com, vijay.botan...@gmail.com, giby.kuriak...@gmail.com,
varunvarm...@gmail.com, snmathap...@gmail.com, vbhaska...@yahoo.co.in,
ganeshkumarb...@gmail.com, rajkamalgosw...@gmail.com, chetana...@gmail.com

With so many experts willing and wanting to extend their help, this is a
good time to begin on this project.

I am not a botanist or academician, I reiterate, but here are some
suggestions:

1. First open a mail account into which people can begin to contribute
information. Different headings can be given, under which to file in the
info. eg. History, folklore, geology, biogeography, ethnobotany, etc.etc.

2. Meanwhile, a detailed land map of the garden must be obtained or drawn.

3. The whole area must be marked out in a fine grid pattern, with numbers
given to the grid squares.

4. When the fine Grid is super-imposed on the detailed land map, it will be
very clear just which area of the park falls under which grid. Make large
numbers of copies of this land map with the grid imposition.

5. Next, mark out each grid or few adjacent grids separately, enlarge each
one of them, and again mark out into small numbered grids about 1 or 2 or 3
sq. ft to a grid. Print copies of these.

6. On a set of days stretching over a week or as required, call for
volunteers with cameras, pen, pencil, ruler, etc. Each group of volunteers,
not more than 3 to a group, will be given both the maps.

7. The group will make its way to the grid alloted to it and begin work.

8. From one end the members  begin to  work their way through the grid,
taking photos of every ground- creeper, fungus, lichen, grass, plant,
shrub, bush and tree. Mark each photo with the number of the grid sub-sect
in which it is found. Maybe two or three photos of each can be taken for
ease of identification. Submit the photos and maps to the organisers.

9. Now comes the work of the botanists and horticulturists. They look at
the photo, identify the plant, do a field check to ascertain that the plant
is present in the place mentioned. Seasonal plants will come and go and
have to be accomodated.

10. The cataloguing begins, in full earnest, by the experts.

This whole process will take more than a year, I think. But the recording
should be done and over by the end of the rains, if possible.
Seshadri's idea to rope in botany, environmnt students is very good.
Cartography students too can be asked to help. Photography hobbyists can
pitch in,

Just ideas.
Chandra