I thought better not to postpone, so I referred my thesis (ofcourse not Lits.
as Library is closed).
Before going to detail again I reiterate the WCSP and GRIN etc. are compiled
work, based on lits. they upload the data.
In my thesis I wrote, (only required portion I am reproducing, actually 3 page
notes was written)
Mentha longifolia is exceedingly polymorphic due to which innumerable
number of specific or infra-specific taxa were described throughout its range.
Briquet  in Engler & Prantl’s Pflansenfamilien
(1895 – 97) recognized 21 subspecies and 150 varieties.
In India, with the available substantial amount
of herbarium specimens, the choice is, either to recognize unending number of
ill-defined taxa or to admit that such a recognization is hopelessly artificial
and that for general purposes easily circumscribed and well-defined taxa are
the only practical solution. In this case, it is felt reasonable to recognize
formally only one species with the following 3 variants since they appear to be
some extent holding well.

Hedge and Lamond (1968) in their account of
Afgan Labiatae recognized two subspecies viz., longifolia
and hymalaiensis under M. longifolia and considered the varieties
royleana and incana as synonyms of the typical subspecies longifolia.
---- which is followed in GRIN

Hedge (1990) in Flora of Pakistan
tentatively recognized two species, viz.,  M. longifolia and M. royleana
---which is followed in WCSP
But in my work, I recognised M. Longifolia with two vars. royleana and incana
as per my view.[third var is longifolia] In other words Taxonomy is based on
personal opinions and it varies from person to person.
Hope this would be useful in solving the doubt.

Sampath Kumar