Ushadi,
So far as I understand, the basic difference between Senegalia and
Vachellia is that in the former, there will be prickles scattered all over
the branchlets while the stipules are modified into spines in the latter.
Here, the spines that you mention in the link are the characters of
Senegalia.  Now coming back to the differences between S. catechu (formerly
Acacia catechu) and S. polyacantha (formerly Acacia polyacantha), in my
opinion, there is none but as per some sources, the main trunk should
contain spines in case of polyacantha and this character of difference can
be established and elucidated only through field observations on greater
areas of distribution of the plants involved.
Regards,