There are two ways to confirm the id:

1. If the inflorescence is more or less sessile (stalkless) and the fruits
are ripening blue (pl check Mathew, 1983), then it is Memecylong umbellatum.
In M. edule the umbels are long stalked and the fruits are yellowish.

2. When you taste the leaves of M. umbellatum they will be sweet first then
slightly sour. This is due to the presence of good amount of starch in the
leaves. And Dr. Mali observed that the hornbills feed on the leaves
(especially the midrib portion) as they are energetic. The leaves of M.
umbellatum are offered as 'prasadam' (like tulsi in temples) to the
devotees by a saint (Shri Narayana Guru) who lives on the holy hill of
Tiruvannamalai. The local names Kaya, Kayambu, Kayampoo are denoting Lord
Krishna due to the color of flowers.

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Vasant Barve <vasantba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have lots of trees of Anjan near Khamgav, Vidarbha.
>
> Many adivasis earn their livelihood by selling leaves. These leaves are
> supposed to increase the yield of milk of cattle.
>
> One forest officer imposed ban on axe in the forest and made adivasis
> harvest the leaves with sickle. Thus he could make the Anjan leaf collection
> sustainable.
>
> --
> (*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my
> blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)
>

> Dr. Vasant Barve
> # 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
> Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
> Nashik 422 005 (India)
> Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.