Some interesting facts from a Wikipedia article about this herb:
Its common European names are *lamb's lettuce, common cornsalad, *or simply
*cornsalad,
mâche (/mɑːʃ/), fetticus, feldsalat, nut lettuce, field salad and valerian
salad. *In restaurants that feature *French cuisine*, it may be called
*doucette
*or *raiponce*.In some areas in Germany it is called *Rapunzel *and is the
origin of the long haired lady's name in the famous fairy tale.
Regarding its use as a vegetable it is written that:
"*It has been eaten in Britain for centuries and appears in John Gerard's
Herbal of 1597. It was grown commercially in London from the late 18th or
early 19th century and appeared on markets as a winter vegetable, but it
only became available in modern supermarkets there in the 1980s. American
president Thomas Jefferson cultivated mâche at his home.*"
Maybe the plants were introduced in Srinagar during British rule.
Its cultivation and promotion as an exotic vegetable can be an attractive
proposition for enterprising entrepreneurs in Kashmir.
Regards
Taffazull