No sir, its not because of popularity in this case. On the basis of
popularity a wrong name can be accepted like they do for Orchidaceae.
Like Orchidaceae described my Jussieu is accepted though the one
described by Adanson was older. Former name (Orchidaceae Juss.) was
conserved.

Here the main reason given is the genetic makeup of the taxa which is
given in the three references I provided in my last mail. On the basis
of popularity it could have been done, but merging 5 different genera
into one is a big deal!!

Regards
Pankaj