Yes you were given a perfect wrong answer.
For Bonsai they never put chemicals to make it short.
Its just the maintenance of roots and twigs to keep it within the
limitation of nutrition in the pot.
I remember once during my MSc exam I was asked, "isnt making bonsai is
like torturing plants?" and my answer was "no, its a means of ex-situ
conservation of some important large as well as small plants. Japnese
excelled it to decorate their gardens, but they excelled in
maintaining some plants which we cant even work in ground.". To me its
same as cutting a child's hair to make him look more civilized :). But
trust me, if the world looses all its natural trees from its natural
environment, then Bonsai is the only option when we can maintain them
and see them.
Pankaj