Dear Ankush
Tanay gave some scientific logic. I wanted to give something basic.
But I am glad you didnt notice your hand while eating and ask why you
dont have 6 fingers!!
Just kidding....
Yes this is true that all characters are dependent on genes. But there
is a simple logic of equilibrium of state. Why earth is round, because
it is at the state of equilibrium with respect to gravitational force
and other forces exerted by other planets and sun.
Similar fruits attain a shape which may be the best possible with
least effort. To me orange is actually rounded but as it is strongly
connected in the centre across the ends, it turns flat on two ends. It
also depends on the patterns of growth and the placentation in the
ovary. Which all depends on genes.
Sometimes shape also depends on the location of style and stigma thats
why apple is depressed on one side and Mango is protruding.
Hope I didnt bore much.
Thanks
Pankaj