Thanks, Manoj ji, for the Id.
Both GRIN as well as The Plant List treat *Coix* *gigantea*
J.Koenig<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-405625> &
*Chionachne* *koenigii* (Spreng.)
Thwaites<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-404606> as
the syn. of *Chionachne* *gigantea* (J.Koenig)
Veldkamp<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-404603> as
per links:

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-404603
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?451178

Do you think that they are different ?

On 9 October 2012 22:48, manoj chandran <machan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is Coix gigantea. You can see the large wings on the glumes of the
> male spikelets. The earlier post was not showing the spikelets very clear.
> It could also be  Coix gigantea. You can see if the plant in the earlier
> post had winged glumes and whether the stems/leaf sheaths were having
> stinging hairs, if so it is Chionachne. The female spikelet of Chionachne
> koenigii is flatter than Coix. Both are tall and the habit and habitat are
> also similar in both genera.
>

> On Monday, October 8, 2012 11:45:36 PM UTC+5:30, surajitkoley wrote:
>>
>> Sir,
>>
>> Found this grass in a roadside waste place. Is this the same *Chionachne
>> koenigii* (Spreng.) as in my earlier post at -
>> https://groups.google.com/d/**topic/indiantreepix/**
>> FW5XrKtEnho/discussion<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/FW5XrKtEnho/discussion>
>> ?
>>
>> Species : *Chionachne koenigii* (Spreng.)
>> Habit & Habitat : about 5.5. feet high, some even 7 feet or more; leaf
>> avg. 45 cm x 5 cm
>> Date : 8/10/12, 10.11 a.m.
>> Place : Hooghly
>>
>> Thank you & Regards,
>>
>> surajit
>>
>  --

The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
alphabetically & place-wise):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members &
1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website:
https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database
of more than 7500 species).
India'.