To me there seems to lot of confusion on the net. Some prominent
 photographs of Abelmoschus manihot subsp. tetraphyllus on the net do not
seem to be matching the description in books or efloras.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41867788@N07/3989376096/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41867788@N07/3933763097/sizes/z/in/photostream/

To me these may not belong to Abelmoschus looking at the small calyx.

Only authentic pectures which bring out the differences between A.
esculentus and A. manihot subsp. tetraphyllus and match with the
description of latter are on this page of Wikipedia and others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abelmoschus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanfari/5056366197/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanfari/5088732732/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanfari/5056380833/

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

 I would request Neil ji and Shrikant ji to upload pictures of flower bud
and flower with calyx and epicalyx to clear the doubt.