Visit Indonesia Daily News Online HomePage:
http://www.indo-news.com/
Please Visit Our Sponsor
http://www.indo-news.com/cgi-bin/ads1

A STATEMENT FROM IRELAND FOR THE PEOPLE OF EAST TIMOR

In light of the current honourable stance taken to allow the people of
East Timor the right to determine their own future in the upcoming
United Nations referendum on the 30th of August, we the undersigned
wish to express our solidarity with the East Timorese people at this
momentous time.

We recognise, with concern, that since the Indonesian invasion of East
Timor in 1975 over 200,000 people, a third of the population, have
died at the hands of the Indonesian military.

We recognise that the international community have never recognised
Indonesia's sovereignty over the territory of East Timor.  We also
express our heartfelt sympathy to all those who have suffered and
continue to suffer through this occupation.

We are making the following urgent appeal:

1.  We call on the international community, through the UN, TO STATION
AN ADEQUATE NUMBER OF PEACE KEEPERS in East Timor, in the pursuit of a
just and free conduct and outcome of the United Nations poll.

2.  We call on the INDONESIAN GOVERNEMENT TO WITHDRAW THEIR MILITARY
FORCES from the territory, as a matter of urgency, in order to create
an atmosphere of security by removing the threat of violence.

3.  We ask also that XANANA GUSMAO, leader of the Timorese people, BE
RELEASED IMMEDIATELY FROM HOUSE ARREST in Jakarta, and be allowed to
rejoin his people without any hindrance.

4.  We ask that the peoples of the world unite with us in DEMANDING
THAT THE UPCOMING BALLOT BE FREE AND FAIR and that the people of East
Timor will be allowed to determine their own future without threat,
according to their democratically expressed will.

SIGNED BY:

SEAMUS HEANEY, JOHN HUME, MAIREAD MAGUIRE, DAVID TRIMBLE (Nobel
Laureates)

MAEVE BINCHY                            BRENDA FRICKER
BONO (U2)                               BRIAN FRIEL
JOHN BOORMAN                            JAMES GALWAY
PIERCE BROSNAN                          BOB GELDOF
CHRIS DE BURGH                          JOHN HURT
GABRIEL BYRNE                           RONAN KEATING (Boyzone)
RODDY DOYLE                             LAINEY KEOGH
THE EDGE (U2)                           FRANK McCOURT
NOIRIN NI BRIOIN                        LIAM O'MAONLAI
MAUREEN O'HARA                          EDNA O'BRIEN
SIAN PHILIPS                            JOHN O'DONOGHUE
JOHN ROCHA                              KATE O'TOOLE
JIM SHERIDAN

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Didistribusikan tgl. 31 Aug 1999 jam 04:30:22 GMT+1
oleh: Indonesia Daily News Online <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.Indo-News.com/

Kirim email ke