Visit Indonesia Daily News Online HomePage:
http://www.indo-news.com/
Please Visit Our Sponsor
http://www.indo-news.com/cgi-bin/ads1

TRANSCRIPT
National Public Radio [USA] broadcast nationally
Talk of the Nation
August 31, 1999

RAY SUAREZ, host:

Guests:  Adam Schwartz, [note: name misspelled in text, correct spelling is
Schwarz] adjunct professor of Southeast Asian studies at the School for
Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins, and author of "A Nation In
Waiting: Indonesia's Search for Stability."

Sydney Jones, Asia director of Human Rights Watch.

Jeffrey Winters, professor of political economy, specializing in Southeast
Asia at Northwestern University, and author of "Power In Motion: Capital
Mobility and the Indonesian State

Lisa Rose Weaver, a freelance reporter who's been reporting from Dili

This is TALK OF THE NATION.  I'm Ray Suarez.

Undoing the legacy of colonialism isn't as simple, it turns out, as just
rewriting borders and pulling down flags.  Amidst political chaos at home,
Portugal quickly pulled out of its colonies in the mid-'70s, some of the
oldest European outposts on Earth.  There was no polite transition to
democracy.
Portugal hadn't been much of one itself.  There was no gradual transfer of
power, no cultivation of young elites to take over the civil service and
government.  Portugal's sudden departure from enormous Angola and Mozambique
and tiny East Timor left vacuums and civil wars behind.  The African colonies
became Cold War battle grounds.  East Timor ended up in a different kind of
struggle for empire.

Part of Indonesia's national myth is that it is the rightful national
umbrella for the wide array of peoples strung out along South Asia's vast
underbelly. The story goes, `We kicked out the Dutch colonialists.  We
helped eject the Japanese and united people into a new nation.' Indonesia
had regional ambitions of its own fueled by the rhetoric of the non-aligned
movement and vast  deposits of natural wealth.  When Irian Jaya left its
Dutch colonial administration for United Nations oversight, it did not unite
with the other half of its own island, the new nation of Papua New Guinea.
The Indonesians muscled the  Dutch, then the UN, then the people of the
former Netherlands-New Guinea to  become part of Indonesia instead.  And in
a similar spirit, when the Portuguese left East Timor, another half-island
colony, after 365 years, Indonesia rushed in and took control, annexing the
territory in a move not recognized by the United Nations.

Despite rhetoric about reuniting the island of Timor's Indonesian and
Portuguese halves, two separate people now lived on the island after nearly
four centuries of Portuguese rule.  The East Timorese were Roman Catholics in
a vast sea of Muslims.  They were Portuguese speakers in a sea of Vahassa
Indonesia speakers.  The Timorese resisted and were brutally repressed.  A
whole generation of Indonesian army officers cut their command teeth and sent
their men to their deaths fighting the East Timorese resistance.  Now the
half-island has voted to either become an autonomous province of Indonesia or
a free-standing republic.  The post-Suharto regime wants to put an end to the
long-standing headache of East Timor.

Earlier today I spoke with Lisa Rose Weaver, a freelance reporter who's been
reporting from Dili.  She said that since the vote yesterday, militias have
been preventing East Timorese from leaving the island.

Ms.  LISA ROSE WEAVER (Freelance Reporter): One of the top militia leaders
this morning announced at the airport in Dili that he would not let East
Timorese, including political leaders from both halves, both the
pro-independece and the anti-independence camp, leave the country.  Then a
few hours later, in fact, apparently militia members did not allow an East
Timorese family to leave.

It's not clear exactly why they're saying this.  If it's a move toward
intimidation, or if they think that if the political leaders and figures
leave the country, they'll be in less of a position to negotiate their
anti-independence position in the days ahead, keeping in mind that the
anti-independence camp is very much on the defensive because basically they
probably fear that they've lost.

They see the United Nations as a foreign imposition, biased toward the
pro-independence camp.  They've said this many times.  They haven't quite
outright threatened to not recognize the result of the ballot, which is
expected in about a week from now.  But they're not happy with the process.
This entire process for them came too fast.  It's pushed them into the
corner.  They didn't want it.  So the militia leaders preventing people from
leaving the country probably is sort of an end tail to that larger picture.

SUAREZ: Are the ballots themselves in reasonably good hands?  They're talking
about a week till a final count is ready.  Have they been gathered from all
the various parts of the island and are they in one central location now?

Ms.  WEAVER: They are going to be in the next couple of days.  The plan was
For the ballots to be helicoptered in from remote areas or driven in from less
remote areas, brought to Dili, then matched against the original registration
form, a couple of other verification processes, and then mixed, interestingly,
so that no one ballot or group of ballots can be traced to the town that they
came from.

This is interesting because although the election process itself, being run by
the United Nations, is quite transparent and by most accounts, with the
exception of the anti-independence camp, most people seem to have confidence
in the process.  Still, this is a situation where people are vulnerable,
particularly people who want independence for East Timor.  So by mixing the
ballots, in other words, no one community can be identified as having voted
one way or the other.

SUAREZ: Let's talk a little bit about the atmosphere in a place like Dili, the
largest city.  You keep reading about armed gangs, reading about very rough
militias.  When you walk just from one place to another, or take a car for a
drive through the city, is this much in evidence?

Ms.  WEAVER: Yes, it is.  It's less tense now than it was late last week when
militias were heavily armed.  At one point swarming into the compound of the
hotel where I'm staying, and many other journalists are staying, waving guns
and knives, being very threatening, beating up some journalists in the course
of reporting.  They are--because an arms truce was signed a few days ago, the
weapons are not externally apparent.  They may be keeping them under their
clothes, but they're keeping a lower profile and yet they do ride around Dili
in trucks.  They do have blockades.  You do have to ask their permission to go
certain places.  And they are definitely patrolling along with the Indonesian
police.

It is a strange atmosphere today.  There's a sense of waiting for the second
shoe to drop.  Outside of the capital, it's even more intimidating, I think
particularly for pro-independence people, from what we hear, from outlying
areas.  There have been incidents in one place in particular, a place called
Ermera, where some UN workers, in fact, were barricaded and trapped by the
militia for a few hours today.  They were able to negotiate their way out of
that situation, and nobody was injured or killed.  But the intimidation
continues.  Houses are burned.  People have disappeared.  It's certainly not a
pretty situation for a lot of East Timorese here.

SUAREZ: Reporter Lisa Rose Weaver joining us from Dili in East Timor.  Thanks
for talking to us.

Ms.  WEAVER: Thank you.  Bye-bye.

SUAREZ: Joining me for the rest of the hour are Adam Schwartz, adjunct
professor of Southeast Asian studies at the School for Advanced International
Studies at Johns Hopkins, and author of "A Nation In Waiting: Indonesia's
Search for Stability." Welcome to TALK OF THE NATION.

Professor ADAM SCHWARTZ (Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins; Author, "A Nation
In Waiting"): Thank you.

SUAREZ: Sydney Jones is with us, Asia director of Human Rights Watch.
Welcome to the program.

Ms.  SYDNEY JONES (Asia Director, Human Rights Watch): Happy to be here.

SUAREZ: And Jeffrey Winters, professor of political economy, specializing in
Southeast Asia at Northwestern University, and author of "Power In Motion:
Capital Mobility and the Indonesian State." Welcome back to the program.

Professor JEFFREY WINTERS (Northwestern University; Author, "Power In
Motion): It's a pleasure, Ray.

SUAREZ: Our number in Washington, (800) 989-8255.  That's (800) 989-TALK.

Sydney Jones, do you have monitors on the ground in East Timor?

Ms.  JONES: I was just there in late July and I've been on the phone daily,
sometimes twice daily to human rights colleagues in Dili, but these are East
Timorese colleagues.  We don't have people on the ground there now.

SUAREZ: And what have you been hearing in the last week or so?

Ms.  JONES: Very much what your reporter was talking about in terms of--in
some ways exultation that so many people turned out for the vote, but at the
same time, a sense that this is far from over yet.  And the fact that the
militias remain with arms and with the backing of the Indonesian army means
that we've got a long way to go before we can actually guarantee that
there's any
peaceful resolution to this.  The fact that 98.2 percent of East Timorese
turned out to vote, though, despite the intimidation, is absolutely remarkable.

SUAREZ: Adam Schwartz, after the last 24 years, it's kind of hard to believe
that if there is a lopsided margin in favor of becoming an independent state
that the Indonesians will just pack their bags, wave goodbye and pull down the
flag.

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: Well, I think we need to be clear about which are the
Indonesians we're talking about here.  We're--so there's really two groups
that I think a lot of people will be watching in the next couple of days and
weeks, and that is the anti-independence or pro-integration militias in East
Timor and then on the other hand there's the Indonesian military.

There is going to be protests and attempts at violence and unwinding a
pro-independence vote by these anti-independence militias.  The big question
is: Is what will the Indonesian military do?  There's fairly clear evidence
over the last couple of months that they have directly or indirectly supported
a number of these militias.  Now will that continue after we find out the
results of this vote next week and if those results show there has been a
resounding victory for independence?  That's sort of one aspect of the--as the
reporter earlier said, the second shoe to drop.

SUAREZ: Does B.J.  Habibie control the military or is it an independent center
in Indonesia?

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: It's probably closer to the latter than the former.  The
military was under tighter control of the president under Suharto.  President
Habibie came to power 15 months ago with a fairly explicit agreement with the
military that he'd largely leave the military affairs to the military, and he
has been loathe to tread on their territory on this and a number of other
issues.  Now having said that it's clear that the international pressure in
the last couple of weeks has really mounted and it does seem to be having some
impact, and some of the military figures who had been more overtly supporting
these militias have been recalled.  Whether that pressure will continue,
whether it will continue to be effective, of course--hard to say at this
point.

SUAREZ: Jeffrey Winters, why do you think the Habibie government came forward
with this offer earlier this year?

Prof.  WINTERS: Well, I think one reason is that Habibie himself is an
unpredictable character.  And I think he's been trying to do a number of
things to gain legitimacy, both domestically and abroad.  I think this move, in
particular, was intended for an international audience, in part because it's
certainly not an initiative to allow this referendum that has gone over at all
well with most of Indonesia's military.  So I think he did it to try to gain
points.  And I think he deserves credit for moving forward, although probably
the time table for doing so has been a bit too fast to be stable, but once the
process got set in motion, there was really no stopping it.

SUAREZ: And do you think that the government--that Mr.  Habibie himself will
back his own assurances if there is a successful vote for independence?

Prof.  WINTERS: Well, I--actually, I don't think that Mr.  Habibie's
Government is really going to be the one in charge of this.  The next step,
of course, is
for Indonesia's Consultative Assembly, which is their sort of grand parliament
which is going to meet in November, to decide what's going to happen after the
vote.  If the vote is for independence, that assembly is going to have to then
make a decision whether they are going to hold on to Timor, which would be an
extremely difficult thing to do, or whether they're going to let it go and
basically nullify their decision in 1976 to incorporate the area as their 27th
province.

I don't think, actually, that process is going to be under B.J.  Habibie's
control.  What Habibie is going to have some control over is the process
between now and November.  And that is a really crucial period because the
question is: Is there going to be more violence or is Timor going to be
stable?

SUAREZ: You're listening to TALK OF THE NATION.  I'm Ray Suarez.  We're going
to take a short break right now.  When we return, we'll continue talking about
the elections in East Timor and its significance for the small island and for
the nation of Indonesia.

At 21 minutes past the hour, it's TALK OF THE NATION from NPR News.

(Soundbite of music)

SUAREZ: Welcome back to TALK OF THE NATION.  I'm Ray Suarez.

Today we're talking about the future of East Timor after an overwhelming
majority of East Timorese turned out to vote, despite fears of intimidation
and violence.  My guests are Adam Schwartz, adjunct professor of Southeast Asian
studies at the School for Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins
University and author of "A Nation in Waiting: Indonesia's Search for
Stability;" Sidney Jones, Asia director of Human Rights Watch; and Jeffrey
Winters, professor of political economy specializing in Southeast Asia at
Northwestern University and author of "Power in Motion: Capital Mobility and
the Indonesian State." Our number here in Washington is (800) 989-8255.

And people who've been sort of vaguely following all this, Adam Schwartz, may
remember that earlier this year, Indonesia had an election.  It took a long
time to count the ballots, but they finally did, and now the results have to
be ratified by that same national assembly that's going to be making a decision
about Timor.

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: That's right.  And probably another way to look at it, or
another similarity, is that as the parliamentary elections back in early June
in Indonesia were really more of the first step of a process rather than the
end of it, I think the referendum yesterday in East Timor probably should be
looked at the same way.  There's a long way to go, still, to get us to
mid-November, where this People's Consultative Assembly session is meant to
conclude.

Following up on sort of our conversation a bit earlier, the issue of how
effective international pressure is going to be to see that Indonesia does, in
fact, live up to its commitments to ensure security in East Timor really, I
think, has to be looked at in the context of Indonesian politics rather than
just what's going on the ground in East Timor.  And the question for President
Habibie, as it is for the armed forces commander, General Wiranto, is: What's
worse for them, international criticism or attempts to blacken Indonesia's
image internationally, or their own domestic political prerogatives?

Now, for example, for President Habibie to put the military under greater
control or attempt to do so could, in fact, cost him the military support for
his own political attempt to remain as president.  By the same token, General
Wiranto's attempt to instill more discipline in the military, to meet the
demands of this international pressure, could very well cost him support
within
the military.  And he, of course, does not want to see a divided military.  So
these two processes are working at times in parallel but at times against each
other.

SUAREZ: Jeffrey Winters, has Megawati Sukarnoputri signaled any opinion one
way or the other on how to settle the Timorese question?

Prof.  WINTERS: Well, she has changed her policy quite a lot from only talking
of t Timor as the 27th province and really sort of sounding hypernationalist
to accepting that there would be a referendum and accepting the outcome, but all
the time stressing that her preference would be for East Timor to remain part
of Indonesia.

I think Megawati is actually a key player at the moment, and one of the--I
would add to what Adam just said a moment ago, that one of the difficulties
from the domestic Indonesian political side is that what you have in place is
really a lame-duck government that is illegitimate.  You've had an election in
June where the government in power got something of just slightly over 20
percent of the vote.  And everybody's sort of trying to figure out what's
going to happen in November.  There's expectation--a strong expectation, I
think, in
the Indonesian population that Megawati is going to come to the presidency and
yet she's not really playing a major role in determining what goes on in
Timor. So you have all of this unfolding while Indonesia's own domestic
politics are
very, very uncertain.  You have an illegitimate government in power and a
discredited military.

I would add one more thing about the military, which is that I think we really
need to get beyond talking about the Indonesian armed forces as the force
that's going to guarantee peace and security in the area.  I don't think we
need any more evidence that the Indonesian military has basically blown it
when it comes to maintaining peace.  And I think the discussion really needs to
move on to what kind of international force--and I think a United Nations force
really needs to take over responsibility of keeping peace in Timor now that
the vote is over because there is no distinction really between the militia and
the Indonesian armed forces.  That militia could not...

Ms.  JONES: I think there's a...

Prof.  WINTERS: ...possibly be operating in the way they are without either
the tacit support or the outright support of the Indonesian armed forces.

SUAREZ: Sydney Jones.

Ms.  JONES: I think there are two other factors to keep in mind.  One is that
there are a number of other separatist issues around Indonesia.  And one of
the reasons that the army has been so active in backing the militias in part is
that they worry that East Timor's independence will just give new life and
spirit to the separatist movement's in Irian Jaya, which is the western half
of the island of New Guinea, and Aceh, which is on the northern tip of the
island of Sumatra, where there's a real guerrilla war under way now and the
Indonesian military is behaving extremely badly as it has in the past in
that particular area.  But I think there are implications for these other
movements if the results on September 7th announce an overwhelming majority
for independence.

The other issue is now that we have a vote and it looks as though East Timor
will be independent, what cultural identity will East Timor have?  What kind
of administration will it have?  Because right now the Indonesian--migrants to
East Timor dominate the civil service.  If all those people go home, what's
left?  And how do you rebuild an administrative structure?  How do you get an
economy going?  And who's going to help in those first three or four
years--provide the aid and assistance?  It's not just a question of security.
It's virtually the whole governmental structure is a big question mark at this
stage.

SUAREZ: (800) 989-8255 is the number.  Allie's with us from Chicago.  Hi,
Allie.

ALLIE (Caller): Hi.  I just came back from East Timor about a week ago.  I was
working there as an international observer with an organization called the
International Federation for East Timor.  I was based in a town called
Sommay(ph), which is straight south of Dili.  What we saw there was an
incredible militia presence, as well as support from the police and military,
very obvious on the streets.  What people expressed to us constantly were
their security concerns leading up to the day of the vote and especially
afterwards. My question, I guess, is just about what role you think the US
will be able to play in these months following the vote, especially as talk
of UN peacekeepers come in.

Ms.  JONES: I think it's important--this is Sydney--I think it's important to
note that there are provisions for UN peacekeepers coming in when this
Consultative Assembly ratifies the decision.  The dangerous period is between
September 7th, when the vote is announced, and this decision, which could be
in November when the assembly convenes.  It could be later on in the agenda of
that session, meaning it could be December, it could be January.

Once that decision is made, there will be about 7,000 or more peacekeepers put
in.  In the interim, it's a difficult question, because for peacekeepers to be
sent in internationally before that MPR decision, before that assembly
decision, the Indonesian government would have to agree, whereas, in fact,
legally at any rate, the Indonesian police will remain in charge of security
until that date.

Now I don't subscribe to the notion that there isn't room for pressure, but
it's going to be very difficult, both legally, politically, diplomatically and
so on, to try and get an international force unless everything breaks apart,
the Indonesian security forces depart in haste and there's a vacuum, in which
case an international force could come in, or if full civil war erupts, which
I fervently hope won't happen, in which case, international forces might be
brought in to help evacuate personnel.  But I think for the moment, there is
probably no likelihood of UN peacekeepers until the Assembly's ratification of
the vote.

SUAREZ: Adam Schwartz?

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: Just a brief addition to what Sydney was saying.  The
Document that sort of is ruling the process here is a tripartite agreement
signed on  May 5th between Indonesia, Portugal and the United Nations.  And
in that document, the parties agree that Indonesia is responsible for
security in East Timor in phase one, which is what we've had up to now, up
to the vote, and phase two, which is between the vote and the People's
Consultative Assembly scheduled for November.

Now the international community via the UN has agreed to those terms, so this
is the diplomatic dilemma.  For international peacekeepers to go into East
Timor in phase two, either they have to be invited by Djakarta or it's going
to be deemed an act of war by Djakarta.  The international community is loath to
do that, and Australia has been in the forefront of articulating those
concerns.

Now it is also, of course, in the terms of that agreement that the Indonesian
military is responsible for providing security and providing the circumstances
for a free and fair vote, which they have not done.  The question is: Is there
enough will on the international community's point to argue on that basis, to
argue that Indonesia has failed to fulfill its commitments and therefore it
feels prepared to push ahead for international peacekeepers?

SUAREZ: Jeffrey Winters, you wanted to say...

Prof.  WINTERS: Yes, I think that's precisely the point.  I mean, they are
doing the opposite of being peacekeepers there.  They are fomenting violence;
people are being killed daily; United Nations staff members are also being
killed.  And if the terms of the agreement are that you are to be a stabilizer
and a peacekeeper, and you're doing absolutely the opposite, then I think the
agreement itself is called into question.  And I don't think that makes it an
act of war.

I think there's a tre--and getting to Allie's question, there's a tremendous
amount of leverage, I think, that one can exert on the Indonesian armed
forces.  The Indonesian armed forces very much value their relationships
with foreign militaries, especially the United States, and I think it can be
made very  clear that continuing to cause trouble in East Timor is going to
have extremely serious consequences.  It would be very nice to be able to
stay on the current schedule and not have to insist on external forces going
into East Timor.  But I think being able to do that is contingent on
applying much more pressure  than it seems has been applied, to this date.

Ms.  JONES: I agree with that.

Prof.  WINTERS: And so I think we really need to have a very proactive policy
coming out of Washington at this point putting, basically, the Indonesian
armed forces on notice that continuing this kind of violence is just
unacceptable
and that it's only going to make the situation worse in the months ahead unless
it's stopped.

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: There's certainly no arguing with that.

Ms.  JONES: No.

Prof.  SCHWARTZ: And I think all of us on this panel would agree that that
pressure should and, in fact, I think probably will be forthcoming.

Ms.  JONES: No.

-end of Part-1 -

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Didistribusikan tgl. 2 Sep 1999 jam 07:38:31 GMT+1
oleh: Indonesia Daily News Online <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.Indo-News.com/

Kirim email ke