Sorry, numpang lewat. Ada teman yang ingin membagi
keprihatinan.
-------

The following petition should be a concern for all
human beings, Aussie or
not. As a nation that have faced oppression and human
rights abuse for 32
years, we should sympathize and show our concern.

IDA
P.S.: If compassion is not enough motive (I hope it is
enough), then
revenge should be a big addition. Just think of all
those times when
foreign media hyperventilates over our human rights
mistakes. Well, time to
show that they are no different. :-)

REPEAL THE  MANDATORY SENTENCING BILL 1999

We, the undersigned Australians, request that the
Northern Territory
Government   repeal the Mandatory Sentencing of
Juvenile
Offenders Bill 1999  immediately.

We believe the recent  death of a  fifteen year old
Aboriginal boy who
wasbeing detained in Darwin under the Territory's
mandatory
sentencing laws was avoidable.

We believe the Mandatory Sentencing of Juvenile
Offenders Bill 1999  is
discriminatory,    disrespectful, morally abhorrent,
racist and unjust.
The Mandatory Sentencing Bill takes the responsibility
 for law and order
away from the local custodians of the law in each
Aboriginal community in
the Territory.

Despite the Royal Commission's Inquiry into Aboriginal
Deaths in Custody
and 339 recommendations later, Aboriginal  people are
still 14
times more likely to be imprisoned than non-Aboriginal
Australians.  In the
Northern Territory, 72.8 per cent of the prison
population is Aboriginal.
This compares with 33.1% in Western Australia and
21.6% in Queensland.

Does the Northern Territory Government genuinely
believe that mandatory
sentencing laws are making a real difference?

There is a better way.

We believe the boy's local community and family could
have undertaken a
more appropriate action under customary law and the
young
boy would probably still be alive today.

We urge you to consider enabling and supporting
Aboriginal people in the
Northern Territory to implement their own laws as
responsible,
 respectful and valid, ways of dealing with offensive
law breaking behaviour.

Yours sincerely,

Name: Email Address:
1.    Anny Druett, NSW
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2.    Ruth le Cheminant, NSW
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
3.    Joseph Finianos, NSW
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
4.    Johneen Hibbert, NSW    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
5.    Regine Wagner,NSW, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

6.    Peter McGregor NSW [EMAIL PROTECTED]
7.    nadya stani  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
8.    Rob Dilley [EMAIL PROTECTED]
9.    Cecelia Cmielewski, NSW  mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
10.  Poppy Diamantis NSW mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
11. Charme Lee NSW mail to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
12. Krissoula Syrmis:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
13. Shakira Hussein [EMAIL PROTECTED]
14. Dr Rachel Bloul,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
15. Iwan Dzulvan Ami, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.            Please send this email in its entirety
to all Australians
that you think will support the petition.

2.            To avoid too many quotation marks,
please copy the text and
paste it  into a new email letter and send  to as many
people
as you can.

3.            Before you send it,  add your name email
address at the
bottom of the list.

4.            If, once you have added your name and
email address, you are
the 20th person  to sign the petition, please send it
to the
entire legislative assembly in the Northern Territory
(email addresses are
below).

5.            Then delete the first 20 names and sent
it to you own
recipients.

6.            A short personal message from you to
some people on the
legislative list  will also demand a response

7.            Thank your for you support on this
important issue  - we have
the technology  - let's use it to move it and make a
difference!

*****************
> > >TO:
> > >1.      Hon Peter Adamson MLA
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >2.      Mr. John Leonard
> > ><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >3.      Mr. Stephen John
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >4.      The Hon. Timothy Denney
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >5.      The Hon. Loraine Margaret
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >6.      Denis Gabriel

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >7.      Hon. Stephen
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >8.      Mr Johan Wessel
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >9.      Mr Stephen Paul

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >10.  Mr Paul Raymond

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >11.  Mrs. Margaret Anne
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >12.  Dr. Richard Soon Huat
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >13.  Hon. Christopher Dennis
> > ><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >14.  Hon. Daryl William

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >15.  Ms. Clare Majella
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >16.  Hon. Terence Robert
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >17.  Mr Terrence Kennedy

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >18.  Mr. Philip Anthony
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >19.  Hon. Michael James

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >20.  Hon. Eric Houguet
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > >21.  Hon. Michael Anthony
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >22.  Mr. Maurice Joseph
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >23.  Mr Sydney James
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >24.  QC, The Hon. Shane Leslie
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >25.  Mr. Peter Howard
> >
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > >Dr.Regine Wagner
> > >Senior Lecturer
> > >Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >Workplace Learning and
> > >Organisational Development Unit
> > >School for Social, Community and Organisational
Studies
> > >University of Western Sydney Nepean
> > >PO Box 10
> > >Kingswood, NSW 2747, Australia
> > >Ph: + 61 2 9678 7612
> > >Fax: + 61 2 9678 7120
> >
> > "the struggle of man against power, is the
struggle of memory
against
> > forgetting"   Milan Kundera   THE BOOK OF LAUGHTER
& FORGETTING
> > --------
> > Peter McGregor, Lecturer in Media & Social
Studies,
http://upstart.hypermart.net
> > -----
> > === === === === === === === === === === === ===
=== === === === ===
> > active-sydney and the weekly
active-sydney-calendar are mailing
> > lists for anyone interested in any form of active
positive social
> > change. They are an electronic 'information
central' about talks,
> > actions, festivals, meetings, films, gigs,
funraisers, court cases,
http://www.active.org.au/
> > .
> > to subscribe to active-sydney, email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > to unsubscribe to active-sydney, email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > .
> > to subscribe to the weekly active-sydney-calendar,
send a blank
email to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > .
> > to announce events on this list please use the
website if possible,