On 11 Sep 2011, at 16:40, Joni Hahkala wrote:

> On 07/09/2011 18:04, Manik Surtani wrote:
>> On 2 Sep 2011, at 13:04, Joni Hahkala wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any performance numbers for infinispan? What kind of response
>>> times would be required from secure version and what they are now etc?
>> No had requirements as such, since I think anyone expecting to deploy a
>> secure data grid will expect performance tradeoffs.  What sort of factors do
>> you envisage with the approaches you outlined below?
>
> For ssl, you would have the problem of the handshake, you have two
> request-response cycles before you can even start to send the actual data.
> So, with anything else than intra cluster networking, you get bitten by the
> network latency. You can resume old ssl sessions, which save one
> request-response cycle, or you can keep the sockets open, and only do the
> handshake once, but at least keeping the sockets open doesn't scale so far.
> Then there is also the certificate checking, but that shouln't be that big of
> an issue unless you want to go for ultimate speed.

Well, for inter-node traffic, this could be a problem since there will be a lot
of chatter.  And if we need to perform a handshake each time, that will kill
performance.  Unless, as you say, persistent connections can be maintained.  In
which case your real overhead is then just the encryption and signing.

> With everything there is the overhead of encryption and possibly the signing,
> but that shouldn't be such a big slowdown.
>
> The Seam framework seems to be more of user authentication, and would
> probably be good for managing the authorization information. But for
> authentication between the nodes and clients maybe keys would be better, kind
> of like ssh is doing.
>
> Cheers,
> Joni
>

>> --