On 25 April 2013 11:51, Galder Zamarreño <gal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Dan Berindei <dan.berin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sa...@infinispan.org>
>> wrote:
>> We also have been toying with the idea to hash each key only once,
>> instead of both with the consistent hash (to assign the node owner)
>> and once in the CHM backing the datacontainer.
>> I doubt we need the datacontainer to implement Map at all, but at
>> least if we go this way we don't want the hash to be affected by the
>> VM instance or different nodes won't agree on the expected owner ;-)
>>

>> For consistent hashing it would probably be better to cache the hash after
>> applying MurmurHash to it anyway. So we could in theory hack our CHMV8 to
>> use a cached hash code computed with MurmurHash and a cluster-specific salt.
>
> ^ Rather than hacking CHMv8, better to provide an Equivalence function (which
> CHMv8 will have an instance variable of) for the keys which keeps the cache
> of hashes or something… once that work is committed, we can discuss further :)

+1 to use your cool implementation. Don't like too much the sound of
"cache the hashes or something", I didn't actually look at the code,
but from gut feeling I would hope the Equivalence function to be
stateless? We might be able to pass the to-be-reused hash as a
parameter in primitive form.

Sanne