We are using the TICK stack with the InfluxDb relay according to the diagram at
https://github.com/influxdata/influxdb-relay#description

We decided the cleanest way to configure kapacitor would be to have the relays
forward data to it directly, rather than having kapacitor subscribe to one of
the replicas or subscribe to a load balancer representing the replicas.

We were able to configure that, but we hit a snag. When data is ingested by
influxdb, if no retention policy is specified, influxdb will automatically put
it in the "autogen" retention policy. However, it appears that when data is
forwarded to Kapacitor, it won't show up in a StreamNode unless it has a
retention policy specified.  This really threw me for a loop and I had no idea
what was going on until I stumbled across the following thread on this mailing
list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/influxdb/kapacitor$20write$20|sort:relevance/influxdb/mnomTKVUK98/fYnMoP3sCgAJ

In my opinion either InfluxDb should require a retention policy to be specified
like Kapacitor does, or Kapacitor should automatically shovel metrics with null
retention policies into one called autogen just like InfluxDb.

For now we will probably have to configure Kapacitor to listen to one of the
InfluxDb replicas since we can't update every single one of our Telegraf
instances just to get around this inconsistency.

Forest

--
Remember to include the version number!
---