Running Kapacitor in an HA setup requires that you figure out a few things.
Here are a few questions you should be asking yourself to get started.

1. Are you already using the relay? If so I would recommend disabling
subscriptions and adding the Kapacitor hosts directly as backend to the
relay.

2. Are you specifying the retention policy when you write data? If not then
you will have to use subscriptions and not the relay since Kapacitor
doesn't know the default retention policy for a given database. (This may
change in the future).

3. What are you using Kapacitor for? Can that system handle duplicates?
Meaning if you are using Kapacitor to trigger alerts can your alerting
backend deduplicate multiple alerts from multiple Kapacitor hosts? This is
probably the most important piece to figure out. If you can dedup then
running two or more Kapacitor instances in active-active mode is best,
either via subscriptions or the relay. Most common alerting system can
dedup alerts. If you can't dedup then you will have to run two or more
Kapacitor instances in active-passive mode, meaning only one instance is
receiving data at a time. If the active one fails a passive is promoted to
active. You will have to implement the load balancer and promotions pieces
yourself in this case.

4. You will need  a way to keep the Kapacitor instances in sync as far as
their tasks are concerned. The Kapacitor hosts will not know about each
other and so you will need to either put a proxy in front the the API and
duplicate requests to each Kapacitor instance or otherwise figure out how
to keep them in sync.

--
Remember to include the version number!
---