i was playing around a lot with amavis, sendmail and cyrus.

i'm doing delivery the old style, and i use the perl version of amavis (no
scanmail program). i'm using it now for more than one month without
problems.

my mailer definition is as follows:

Mcyrus,          P=/usr/sbin/amavis, F=lsDFMnPqAh5@/:|, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,                                     U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=amavis $f $u /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -m $h -- $u

Mcyrusbb,        P=/usr/sbin/amavis, F=lsDFMnPu, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                     U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=amavis $f $u /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -m $u

i'm not quite sure about the status of deliver in cyrus version 2.x. i have
read, that the dliver program is only a wrapper for lmtp transport in the
new version, so i don't know if the mail is dlivered per lmtp to the
mailboxes. (how could i test it?) in the imapd.log i always got the notice,

lmtpd[process-id]: accepted connection
lmtpd[process-id]: lmtp connection preauth'd as postman
master[master-process-id]: process 'process-id' exited, status 0

so i think it is delivered per lmtp, or?

i have tried to use explicity the lmtp mode with deliver, with the
following mailer definition:

Mcyrus,          P=/usr/sbin/amavis, F=lsDFMnPqSmXz/:|, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,                                     U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=amavis $f $u /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -l -e

Mcyrusbb,        P=/usr/sbin/amavis, F=lsDFMnPSmXz, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                     U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=amavis $f $u /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -l -e

but with this definition, the mail was not delivered. when i used instead
following:

Mcyrus,          P=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver, F=lsDFMnPqSmXz/:|, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,                             U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -l -e

Mcyrusbb,        P=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver, F=lsDFMnPSmXz, S=EnvFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                     U=cyrus:mail, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -l -e

mail is/was delivered without problems per lmtp.

normally i'm a software developer, so i don't know, if it was a sendmail
configuration error, since i'm not a sendmail.cf hacker, or maybe a rights
error. i tested it with the cyrus-version 2.0.7. now i'm using 2.0.11, but
haven't tested it again.

so i'm using the first mailer definition. i read, that only the
sieve-vacation script will not work, when i don't use lmtp, but i haven't
tested it, because other sieve-filtering works okay. when the vacation
script works with the first mailer definition, then it should also use
lmtp. maybe i will test it, when i have time.

if you get amavis, sendmail and cyrus with virus-scanning and lmtp to work,
i would be happy, if you could inform me.

hope this helps.

manfred

--On Montag, 19. Februar 2001 12:22 +0200 Oguz YILMAZ