Hi Dan.

We have a similar setup, so I will try to answer according to our
setups.

Dan Ellis wrote:
> I'm trying to install cyrus using ldap for authentication. We require no
> encryption of passwords or of the imap sessions.
> Do we still need to use cyrus-sasl?
Yes.

> What is th best method to auth?  Pam or pwcheck?
We use PAM, and are very happy with it. Whats pwcheck?

> I am assuming that if I use pwcheck, the underlying database is irrelevent as
> pwcheck abstracts that to cyrus.  (Meaning it is irrelevent whther we use mysql
> or ldap as long as the pwcheck script/program handles the auth with mysql/ldap),
> cprrect?  Pwcheck must simply return and OK or an error message, corect?

This is what PAM was designed for. Use it.

You may find this article a little useful.
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/September2000/article173.shtml

Let me know if you need more help.

--
Atif Ghaffar