How strange. if I remember correctly, the IMAP::Admin module does
everything through an IMAP connection using standard RFC IMAP
commands, just like cyradm does. So if you're using the same login and
password with cyradm as you're using with your perl script, and cyradm
works, the problem would have to be in your script or in IMAP::Admin.

hmmm. this module works fine for me... the only thing I can think of
is (pretty unlikely) if you've got a literal backslash or single quote
in the password, perl might screw up the password it's passing to the
IMAP::Admin module...

To confirm that there's nothing wrong with your Cyrus configuration,
and that cyradm isn't covering up or compensating for some error
message, you might try typing the stuff on the lines marked by 'YOU':

YOU: $ telnet localhost 143
      Connected to {hostname}.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      * OK {hostname} Cyrus IMAP4 v2.0.15 server ready.
YOU: . login adm XXXXXX
      . OK User logged in
YOU: . create user.testmailbox
      . OK Completed
YOU: . setacl user.testmailbox adm lrswipcda
      . OK Completed
YOU: . delete user.testmailbox
      . OK Completed
YOU: . logout