Ken Murchison wrote:

>> Hey, it's no big deal--I'm sure I can handle counting characters ;-) But if
>> it ain't broke, don't fix it, huh?

> I think this is more of a move forward and a preemptive thing.  Let's
> change it now before we realize that it is broken down the road.

I guess it's the old "in-band vs. out-of-band signalling" thing.
Squid's external authenticators communicated in a similar way, and
had an issue when someone figured out how to inject "\n"'s (Squid's
string separators) into the string.

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester,  Software Wrangler and Bit Herder, IOCANE Pty. Ltd.

"Now is the Winter of our Discount Tent."  -- The Red Green Show