This what my  /etc/imapd.conf looks like:

configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: admin
srvtab: /var/imap/srvtab
allowanonymouslogin: no
sasl_passwd_check: PAM
allowplaintext: yes

Like you , I am using the following params

 > auth optional ...(params for pammysql)...
 > account required ...(same params for pammysql)...

I am tail -f ing my mysql.log  (mysql is running in logging mode)

and I can see connections that I make from the command line but not
from the imap pam

I have the same config in sudo , sudo makes the connection but not imap.

--
Vincent Stoessel [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java Linux Apache Mysql Php (JLAMP) Engineer