On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 05:35:49PM +0000, John Holman wrote:

> In fact, even when the local part of addresses is case sensitive, I think
> it would be better to do a case insensitive match for purposes of deciding
> eligibility for a vacation message. After all, if the message is delivered
> (so the envelope recipient address is correct) and has a to/cc/bcc header
> that satisfies a case-insensitive match, under what circumstances could it
> be wrong to send a vacation message?

A major part of this problem is that the envelope recipient address
is constructed in such a way that it can never match a header recipient
address.  This happens because the MTA, sendmail in my case, strips
the domain portion of the envelope recipient, and then Cyrus lmtpd
appends `@unspecified.domain' to it.  This requires a configuration
option so that lmtpd will append the correct domain.  Lmtpd requires
some information only known to the MTA.

> If that is not agreed, perhaps there could be a configuration option for
> the vacation facility to do a case-insensitive match?

Again, lmtpd needs to know some information, whether user names are
case-insensitive, known only to the MTA.

The real problem is that the Cyrus sieve module does not know the
e-mail address of the recipient, and must guess at it by by examining
headers.  Solving this would solve the other problems.