cyrus and related programs are some of the hardest programs to
troubleshoot I ever encountered. I read the docs, asked on the mailing
list (this one) etc. but it seems like there's simply no way to tell
what's going on. I enabled all the logging, I even tried test (from
sieve directory of cyrus source tree).

  how do people cope with that? I see cyrus being recommended as one of
the best imap servers (and when it works it works, I didn't have any
troubles) but to set it up or do any changes is basically impossible.

  e.g. this time I changed the sieve script, made a typo and it didn't
work, all I've got is the following message:

Feb  1 00:30:13 localhost deliver[23370]: sieve runtime error for erik
id <bgISrC.A.pyC.YElW8@murphy>: Fileinto: Mailbox does not exist

  indicates what's going on but is not particularly helpful. it doesn't
say where it tries to deliver the message.

  another example: I ran test (from sieve subtree) and changed the order
of script and test message (my fault), but all it says it: line 1: parse
error. WTF? so I started a debugger but I couldn't get to where the
error actually occurs (it was in yyparse for which there is no source).

  I solved the problem but it was extremely unpleasant, made worse by
the fact that program could have easily provided all the important info
(I also had number of other similar troubles, including inability of
using any other authentification method but sasl_pwcheck_method: sasldb,
I haven't solved that one yet).

  Q: how do other people cope with troubleshooting problems of cyrus
(and mainly sieve)? Are there any tools that I am not aware of? Is it
getting better (the above is with older cyrus/sieve (test is from
2.0.16, real sieve from 1.6.x, but says 2.0 in X-sieve header).

  TIA!

        erik