From: Amos Gouaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:18:11 -0600

   km> As Cillian stated, you can proxy as the user, so doing this in perl or
   km> some other scripting language is fairly easy.  Alternatively, if you
   km> want to do this outside of the IMAP protocol take a look at fud.c, which
   km> is a finger-type service that tells you the number of unread messages in
   km> the INBOX and the last time the users read his/her INBOX.  This should
   km> be a good starting point for writing your own utility.

   Is there any reason why this fud client can't be put into contrib?

Well, the only client we have is tightly tied to our finger
implementation which is tightly tied to our LDAP environment, etc.

If I get time I'll try to extract out the fud stuff and throw it into
contrib (bug #1151).

Larry